Wednesday, January 4, 2012

4th Day of 2012, 1st day of VRP 2012

Today is my first day working at USM under the Vacation Research Programme. So far so good. Initially we were only supposed to have shorts briefings about the rules and regulations in the lab, a little about molecular and cytogenetic, then some safety talk, training on our pipetting techniques, etc. However, as you can see, briefings are short and with so much time left, our schedule for tomorrow has to be forwarded to today. Which means, Pong and I had have the chance to do some DNA extraction, hands-on. It's quite interesting as things like this are never done in schools, plus nearly all the apparatuses used are mini-sized! Then our supervisor for the day, Mr. Chia, demonstrates the DNA quantification to us. We are supposed to do that tomorrow.

In case you don't have any idea of which department am I in, I am in the Human Genome Centre. Our schedule for tomorrow will be DNA quantification (hands-on), briefing, PCR (demo and hands-on) and discussion. I'll see if I can update about tomorrow's activities, provided that I am not that exhausted. Hopefully everything will go on smoothly. =)

P/S: Here's a link to the website http://vacationresearchprogramme.wordpress.com/. Feel free to surf it.

No comments:

Post a Comment